Home
Golf
Our Club
   History of CECC
   Dining
   Facilities
   Women of Columbia
   Junior Members
   Affiliations
   Directions
   Guest Information
   Staff Directory
Membership
Weddings & Events

History of Columbia Edgewater

 

The Beginning

Columbia Edgewater was established in 1924 as Columbia Country Club. Arthur Vernon ("A.V.") Macan was selected to design the course, which opened on July 11, 1925 and was the seventh 18 hole course in Portland. Macan was the premiere designer of the time in the Northwest, renovating or designing over 60 courses in his lifetime. Other courses designed by Macan include Seattle Golf Club, Inglewood Golf Club, Overlake Golf and Country Club and Marine Drive Golf Club.

The original clubhouse officially opened in June 1926 on the banks of the Columbia River. This clubhouse burned to the ground in a Christmas tree fire in 1979. The present day clubhouse was built in 1980, and opened its doors in July, 1981.

Championships and Events

Throughout the decades, Columbia Edgewater has attracted and developed many quality players who compiled impressive golfing records in local, regional and national tournaments.

Columbia Edgewater has also played host to many great Pacific Northwest golf events, including:

  • The Oregon Open: 1929, 1930

  • The Portland Open, a PGA Tour Event: 1961-1963, 1966

  • The Oregon Amateur: 1928, 1938, 1952, 1961, 1973, 1984, 1997, 2007

  • The Northwest Open: 1963, 1970

  • The LPGA Safeway Classic: 1974-2008, 2013

  • US Open Sectional Qualifier: 2010